Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Transforming the front room~

Our front room was bright and whimsical. This weekend I was ready to make a change. 
I was craving something clean and refreshing.


I had helped my friend Heather hang board and batten trim in her master bedroom and she gave me all of her extra supplies, which was super nice! I loved how her room turned out and wanted to do something similar in my front room.  This weekend The Joe and I celebrated our anniversary. We went to a football game(something he really enjoys) and worked on projects(something I really enjoy). It was a wonderful way to spend time together and make some fun memories!


Here are a couple of the process pics. It was actually a very fast project. We had everything tacked to the walls within an hour and a half. We used 4'' boards for the top and 2'' boards for the battens. We chopped the bottoms of the 2'' boards at a 45 degree angle so they would match the base molding.

To space the boards evenly, we cut 2 board that were 17'' long and held them in between the battens while we tacked them into place. One near the top and one near the bottom. It was really easy and we didn't have to worry about measuring everything!


After saying goodbye to the bright yellow wall and painting everything I felt like the room needed a little something more so I made a shelf to one of the walls.


I was worried that the shelf might hurt the look of the room, but I actually love how it all came together!  


The paint colors are antique white and pebble gray by Glidden.


Before:

After:

It feels much cleaner to me! Just what I was hoping for.
I'd like to add a dark gray throw pillow to the chair and figure out a good window treatment, 
possibly making shutters?? I would love to be able to figure that out!

20 comments:

  1. I love gray and white! Add a pop of yellow with the pillow so you still have some "cheery"! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love it! I just painted my downstairs a light gray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks great and fresh! Amazing what you guys accomplished in one weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks sooooo good! Now you can come do it at my house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it turned out SO cute! I am glad you were able to use the leftovers! I also LOVE the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous!! would love to do my family room in this color palate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love! I don't need a whole tutorial, but I would like to know what size boards you used for your battens and for the top piece. Also, how did you deal with where the batten meets the molding? It looks great! emstep at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! And probably not that expensive, right? I just may steal this idea for my entry way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! Who knew doing your walls like that was so simple? Answer: not me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this room. May want to do something like this to our play room. I too would like to know what size batten you used and how the molding was handled. Email me as well shanda.zaragoza@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! Dying to do this as well..what type of material did you use? Is it MDF already precut?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks ladies!

    Julie, it's cheaper to buy the big sheets of mdf and cut it into strips yourself, or have Home Depot cut it for you. They will do the first 10 cuts for free, and each additional cut is $.50.

    For those of you that asked before I added the info to the post, the sizes I used were 4'' for the top board and 2'' for the battens. We nipped the bottom of the battens at a 45 degree angle to match up with the existing base molding.

    Thanks!
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty!! I love board and batten! Yours turned out great and totally changed the look of the room. Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andy, I am just about to start a board & batten project and loved seeing how yours came out. The room looks fabulous! I love how you can go in any direction with colors since the walls are so neutral....oh the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great room! I especially love the walls. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty!! I love the white and grey combination!! And the shelf is the perfect touch! Great job!! :) xo, Reannah

    ReplyDelete
  17. You could totally leave the yellow pillow and then do those mod striped curtains in yellow and white (like these http://pinterest.com/pin/89157267592636498/) but a subtle yellow so it added to the cleanness of the room, I am so jealous your husband does tall your fun projects, one day I'll talk me husband into just one! HA HA< Beautiful though!!!

    ReplyDelete

It's such a pleasure to hear from you! Thank you for taking a moment to comment. If you have a question, please leave me your email address! Thanks a million!
~Andy