Friday, December 31, 2010

The making of a magazine rack~

I unsuccessfully attempted to make a magazine rack a couple of months ago, 
and decided to give it a second try today.

I made it out of 6'' and 3'' strips of mdf, a scrap piece of bead board, and a small piece of trim.


I freehanded the shape of the side and then copied it for my second side.
 I used a band saw to cut them out.

It doesn't really matter what shape  they are, as long as they are both the same.


I set them on a piece of bead board to determine how wide I wanted it, 
and then I cut the bead board down to size with a table saw.

I measured the distance between the two sides to get my bottom and front pieces.
I cut 3 of them out of the 3'' strips of mdf.


I glued and nailed it all together and put a piece of trim on the top edge to give it a more finished look.


Time to paint! I painted it the same color as the wall, so it would blend well.


I decorated the front with a hook.



And hung it on the wall. 


Happy New Year!!! Have fun tonight!!



6 comments:

  1. You did such a nice job on the design, I really like it. I love the hook and keys too, so fun! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! You did a great job. I have been wanting a magazine rack forever. Now I can make one! Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job!!! It is so cute!!! Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's perfect! Love the bead-board! The hanging keys are pretty cool too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your project featured on Be Different and had to drop by and tell you what an amazing job you did. It looks amazing, so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andy, I am a new follower from Somewhere in Blogland. I have entered your giveaway there, and came to say hello.

    How awesome this magazine rack turned out. Great job!!! I would SOOO love it if you linked this to my weekly party **Amaze me August** and if you added me to your weekly part list, GOSH that would be even better, he he.

    Thanks so much, for offering the giveaway.

    Bella , your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete

It's such a pleasure to hear from you! Thank you for taking a moment to comment. If you have a question, please leave me your email address! Thanks a million!
~Andy