1. Increase functionality.
2. Increase cuteness.
3. Do it without spending any money.
I can't say that I really have a "room" for my laundry. It is the hallway between the garage and the kitchen. It has always needed some TLC, but it hasn't really been a priority. Kathy gave me some upper cabinets that were in her basement so that was the push I needed to get something done in there. Here is the beautiful before shot:
Nice eh? I tried to create a different design for a shelf one day and I really didn't like the way it turned out, but I figured at least it would give me a place to put all of my laundry junk. It always looks like chaos in there so I welcomed the cabinets that Kathy gave to us just so I could have some doors to hide all of the cleaning supplies/gardening supplies/laundry soap/everything else that doesn't really have a place.
I decided to go with a brown color scheme because of one major factor: I already have all of the paint I need. I painted the cabinets a dark chocolate and changed the hardware. I choose simple silver knobs for one reason: I already had them. I painted the wall a lighter brown and since the cabinets are heavier on one side and don't fill up the entire space, I decided to paint some stripes and add some vinyl lettering to try and even it out. Here is the after shot:
I'm hoping that the improvements will encourage me to do my laundry more often. I'm not counting on it, but I am happy with the end result. Mission accomplished!