Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Repurposing a cabinet door into a headboard shelf~


I bought this cabinet door from the "as-is" department at IKEA. I picked it up for $3(love those deals!!) Initially it had 2 additional squares that I chopped off so I could use it for the top of a coffee table. We used it for a while until Emmie gave us an old door that we wanted to use instead.

The cabinet door  has been hanging out in my garage for a couple of months so I thought I'd try and turn it into a shelf/headboard for my daughter's room.  

It's a pretty easy project if you have the right tools!

I set an 8'' mdf board next to the door and played around with drawing sides until I figured out one that I liked.  I cut it out with a bandsaw and traced a matching one for the other side.


I chopped the edges of a 10'' board at a 45 degree angle with a miter and routed the top side.


Before I put it all together, I drilled hanging holes in the top side of the cabinet door.


I put wood glue on all of the edges and tacked them into place with a pneumatic nail gun.


Here's a shot of the previous headboard.


And here's the headboard shelf hanging above her bed. 




I love how much it brightens and cheers up the room! 
Hopefully Liv will like it too!  

10 comments:

It's such a pleasure to hear from you! Thank you for taking a moment to comment. If you have a question, please leave me your email address! Thanks a million!
~Andy