I've snagged another Ikea scrap for today's project.
I just love their cast offs. I usually load up when I visit the as-is department.
I drilled a few holes for pegs and hanging holes,
When sanding I focused mainly on the inside of the door so that the vinyl won't pull off the paint
as well as the edges of the door so the undercoat will hold.
The first coat is a burnt red. Since it's the undercoat I didn't spend too much time on the pegs.
The top coat is called Natural Twine from the Martha Living collection.
While the topcoat was still wet(do wait a bit for it to dry a little), I rubbed it off of the edges with a damp cloth.
After the paint was completely dry,
I went back over and repainted the areas that were exposing too much red.
This technique is easier than sanding and it keeps you from sanding through the undercoat of paint.
All dressed up and ready to go!