Monday, February 22, 2010

Stencils

Happy Monday!  Anyone else sick of winter? Literally. We've all been fighting colds and coughs and ear infections and sore throats the last week or two. Yuk! I can't wait for some warm weather and sunshine. This is a hard time of year for me.  But, at least I can hop online and see some of the beautiful, inspiring projects that are going on out there....even if I can't get up the gusto right now to take much on myself.  This week I've been looking at all the fun things that can be done with stencils! Wow!

This gal at Christy's Thrifty Decorating uses stencils to create a border around her whole room.


Look at this big tree made from a homemade stencil at Painter Girl. I love it!


And Painter Girl also did an all over stencil to dress up this chest of drawers.

Home Shopping Spy introduces some new young designers, one named Kyu Seon Lee created this beautiful chandalier stencil. Gorgeous!

It seems like the possibilities are endless.  I decided to try my hand at a little stencling.  I just took this little bench that we use as costume box. I painted this black a long time ago but have always thought it was a little plain.  So, I just took a little stencil, an old bottle of ivory white acrylic paint and added a little flourish to the front.
This seriously took me 10 minutes.  I think I could really get in to stenciling! How about you?

Hannah

5 comments:

  1. Do you use something to tape the stencil down or did you just hold it there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try it again--it frustrated me 15 years ago when I did it, got too much paint under the stencil. There are some great ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did a post on stenciling my little girl's dresser! Love stenciling. It turned my $20 find into something special.

    p.s. dry brushing makes it so much easier. No paint gets under the stencil :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chest of drawers is my favorite. Thanks for sharing. It seems VINYL took over the stenciling world, but I love the look of a good stencil:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the chest of drawers is my favorite too.
    We have a ton of "vintage" furniture sitting around being ugly. I was going to paint it all white. But now I just might have to try a graphic paper stencil or two. Thanks for visiting the blog and leaving a comment. I really appreciate that and look forward to another link party.

    mymommymakesit.
    making toys from recycled items to save my sanity and the planet

    ReplyDelete

It's such a pleasure to hear from you! Thank you for taking a moment to comment. If you have a question, please leave me your email address! Thanks a million!
~Andy