Thursday, January 8, 2009

Magnet Board Fever

My Sis-in-law Sarah and I had both decided to make magnet boards for our kids for Christmas. She actually finished hers before Christmas while sadly mine is still sitting in the wood shop without a frame.  Sarah used Mod Podge to line her frame with fabric(I had no idea Mod Podge worked with fabric! Way cool!).  It turned out so cute. I would post a pic, but I haven't asked her permission yet.  I was getting antsy this morning(not to be confused with ansy which I found out this morning was another word for horny((glad I looked that one up)).  My kids are home sick and I was in the mood to make something.  I have an old magnet board that used to be in my kitchen and so I decided to spice it up a bit.  I painted pink stripes and then added alphabet stickers to the top and glued a wooden flower to the bottom.  Sarah and I were debating whether to cover our magnet boards with fabric. It's a cute look, but you have to use stronger magnets and you may not be able to focus on the pictures the kids are hanging up.  Since this was kind of a trial run magnet board I decided to cover it.  A word of caution: after I covered the sheet metal with fabric it was VERY difficult to get it to fit back in the frame. I would suggest a thin fabric if you are buying a magnet board from the store.  I just taped the fabric tightly on the back. It seems to be holding well.  I bought the cute circle boxes in the kitchen department at IKEA. The backs have a very strong magnet so they hold tightly.  I just cut out cute paper and put stickers to label them.  I think it will be fun for the kids to keep little nicknacks like movie stubs and such.  Hopefully this will hold me over until we actually get our bigger one built! Thanks for the motivation Sarah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's such a pleasure to hear from you! Thank you for taking a moment to comment. If you have a question, please leave me your email address! Thanks a million!
~Andy