Friday, January 30, 2009

Cleaning Cloths



Don't you love using those sanitizing wipes that Clorox or other companies make?  I do, but I rarely remember to buy them. Today I ran across a recipe to make your own! They are all natural and so they are really safe for the kids and you can keep them for up to a week.  My hubby really likes the smell of bleach, but if you are like me and prefer a citrus scent then this is the way to go.  I found this idea on apartmenttherapy.com and they found it on bloomacious.  I have a bunch of oranges in my fridge that I don't think my family will get through so I'm going to give it a shot. Here's what you'll need:
  • Old Dish Rags
  • Orange
  • Vinegar
  • Olive Oil
  • Empty Jar
  1. Peel the skin from the orange
  2. Put the peel in a bowl and mix in two cups boiling water. Let sit for a couple of minutes, till you can really smell the orange and can comfortably put your fingers in the water to twist the oils out of the peels.  Twist the pieces to extrude as much oil from the rinds as possible. Remove rinds and set one piece aside.
  3. Add in 2 cups White Distilled Vinegar
  4. Add a couple drops of Olive Oil.
  5. Add in the rags and let them soak a couple of minutes.
  6. Remove and wring cloths thoroughly-removing as much moisture as possible.
  7. Fold in thirds and roll up into what should look like a finger towel and is a size that will fit easily through the mouth of your jar.
  8. Add a piece of the orange rind to the jar for fragrance and store for up to a week.  You can also use the towels immediately after wringing without storing, but the orange essence won't be as strong and pleasant.
Thanks for the comment Carrie from bloomacious.  This is her recipe and she wanted to let me know that these wipes are for wood veneer furniture not for heavy duty cloroxy type jobs. Good to know!  click HERE to go to bloomacious. I apologize for not posting a link. Such a cute site BTW.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andy - thanks for posting my recipe!

    We'd love it if you would include a link to www.bloomacious.com with my photo - also thought I'd mention that these wipes are for furniture (wood veneer) not so much for heavy, cloroxy type jobs.

    Cheers! Carrie @ bloomacious.com

    ReplyDelete

It's such a pleasure to hear from you! Thank you for taking a moment to comment. If you have a question, please leave me your email address! Thanks a million!
~Andy